Forum index Modele Broni Pancernej
II wojny swiatowej w skali 1 - 25/ 1-25 SCALE ARMOR FORUM

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Chat

Previous topic :: Next topic
Jagdpanther (Oct'44 production) / Academy / Ardenne Dec '44
happylappy 
Czołgista / Tankman

Posted: 28 April 2012, 04:10   Jagdpanther (Oct'44 production) / Academy / Ardenne Dec '44

:flag_gb: My latest build, a Jagdpanther (October '44 production) in the Ardenne forest, December 1944.

Its a Tamiyacademy kit! Well the kit is mostly the re-issue Tamiya, but there are some parts in there from the Academy kit. Most notably the road wheels - I have no idea what Tamiya were thinking. I used a few parts here and there from an Academy kit, the remains of which will be used to help me build a JagdTiger in the near future.

I scratchbuilt the fenders, side-skirts, skirt attachment points, rear stowage bins and cleaning-rod stowage container from sheet aluminium. A tedious process. Brass strips and some left over photo-etch from the PzII Aber set completed the equipment stowage. Tools made using styrene rod and square, the crowbar & Track tension adjuster were made using brass rod. The spare track racks were completely scratchbuilt using brass strip and Trumpeter chain-link. Another long slow process. The tow cable is from Piotr's shop.

For anybody who cares, i create the armour-texture using Tamiya putty (the grey stuff in the tube) & my finger. Then sand it down a bit with 800 grit sand paper. I paint in Testors enamels, but adjust the colours to what I believe is more accurate. I use the Zenithal light technique. Pin washes & weathering are done with oil paints diluted in white-spirit after sealing with Future floor polish. Mud & Dust are attached using Gunzye flat base & ground pastels (whatever colours I feel are right for the subject - for this build, mostly grey-green and umber). The leaves are a diorama material I bought on Ebay, dirtied with a light wash of pastel powder in white spirit. Insignia are painted using a mask from Piotr's shop.

The build took 3 months, which is quick compared to my build time for aircraft (usually 6 to 9 months). I am now working on the Bandai Koenigstiger.

FOOTNOTE: This build won GOLD in the "Military Vehicles Large Scale" & the Trophy for "Best of Show - Tamiya" at the Queensland Scale Model Championships 2013.

Last edited by happylappy on 11 January 2015, 23:40; edited 2 times in total  

PITERPANZER 
Site Admin

Posted: 1 May 2012, 11:48   

Hi !
The next 3 days I look at Your model and every moment I have a fun .
It`s beautiful , details ,camo , wheathering .
I would like to convince Aber to reedtion this PE kit for panther/jagdpanther. It change poor Tamiya/Academy model to really nice vehicle.
Have you forgotten about meshes on grills and radiators or this sp gun appeared without ?
I hope You have pics step by step ,we would like to see You relation and to know Your workbench.Is it possible ? I`m and for sure other guys too , really impressed the weathering .
What about new project , King Tiger ? Do You plane to use new plastic tracks to 1-24 RC King Tiger ? I `ve got 2 Bandai models and plane convert one to Henschel turret version,but..it`a future. The same resin road wheels .They are ready to do in reson ,but no time still .
Thanks for sharing again.
Good luck, regards from Gdansk.

happylappy 
Czołgista / Tankman

Posted: 9 May 2012, 09:01   

Hello Piotr. Thank-you for your kind comments. I do have the radiator grilles for the JapdPanther, but this vehicle didn't have them fitted. I will be using the grilles when I build my next JagdPanther. I still have the special 3-part edition that you had ABER make for you, but I didn't use it on this kit. I am saving it up until I am good enough, as I only have one and like you said, you can't get any more :cry:

I have a couple of construction photos, but none to do with the weathering. Is it the weathering that you are most interested in? I have been taking photos of the KoenigsTiger as I go along, and can post some of them up in the other forum. Which plastic tracks are you talking about for the Koenigstiger? I am using the pin-and-plastic set that came with the kit. Is there another set available????

Happy modelling ! :razz:

Reply to topic