Tiger I, S04, Michael Wittmann / Tamiya + sctrach /1SS LAH

Pytania, Technika / Technics, Questions, etc / Fragen, Techniken, etc

Moderatorzy: Tommy T.B., mrafalsk

Awatar użytkownika
PITERPANZER
Site Admin
Kontakt:

Post autor: PITERPANZER » 18 marca 2015, 20:23

I like Your relation and pics, all effort about details and precision of execution.
Few year ago on Armorama, my colleague, wrote relationships tiger built and scratch.
Matt Grzybinski is for me one of the best persons, who correct tiger I from Tamiya.
What`s e pity that has not completed relation. Do You know him?
Here You go one step far the Matt.
Ostatnio zmieniony 18 marca 2015, 20:25 przez PITERPANZER, łącznie zmieniany 2 razy.
Zapraszam do sklepu/Welcome to the shop !
Obrazek

TankIndustry
Czołgista / Tankman

Post autor: TankIndustry » 26 marca 2015, 02:54

Hi Piotr

I don't know him but I have seen the work he did on that project:

http://gallery3.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/21168

I was inspired to build a Tiger 1/25 by what I saw.
He seems like a very skilled modeler.
His work is very clean ... much cleaner than mine.
He has a great eye for small details and does a great job a recreating them (weld seams, bolt and rivet details)
He definitely overlooked many inadequacies in this model but perhaps he was attempting to limit the scope of the project ... I have been at it for 27 months now and it's still not done .... very close to done however!

Too bad he never finished that project
TankIndustry

TankIndustry
Czołgista / Tankman

Post autor: TankIndustry » 26 marca 2015, 04:03

Michael Wittmann, Tiger S04

Hull Deck:

The Tiger I hull deck was a very busy place being the storage location for most of the tools and equipment used in field support.
The full compliment of issued equipment for early production Tiger Is included the following hull deck mounted items:

Fire Extinguisher
Wire Cutter
Pry Bar
Sledge Hammer
Axe
Shovel
Jack Block
Tow Cables (X2)
Barrel Cleaning Rods (left and right sets)

Each piece mentioned above also had it own set of fasteners and locks to secure it to the deck.

Additional assemblies present on early Tiger I hull decks are:

Head lights with mounting bases and external electrical conduits,
Smoke Mortar launchers.
Front ventilator armored cover
Driver and Radio Operator hatches with vision periscopes
Radio Antenna and base (X2 for typical command tanks)
Radio Antenna storage tube.
Engine cover plate ventilator armored cover
Engine cover plate grab handles
Intake plenum and piping for the air filtration system
Armored cover for the deep wading snorkel opening
Open Hold Hooks mounted on rear engine grills and engine cover plate

Everything mentioned above adds up to a lot of hull deck detail for a 25th scale Tiger I.

The Tamiya Tiger 1/25 requires much extra work, in terms of hull deck detail, as pretty much everything supplied in the kit is poor.
Additionally, the hull deck is not long enough from front to back.
This is due to the armor spacer plates, located between the engine grills, on each side of the engine deck area, being too narrow when measured from front to back.
This caused a few problems with details attached to the engine cover plate.
Specifically, the engine ventilator armored cover had to be relocated so room could be made for mounting an open hold hook on the rear end of the plate.
Also, the air filtration system, intake plenum had to be made a little out of scale in order to get it to fit properly behind the armored ventilator cover plate and still appear correct in terms of position and shape

In my work I was able to use only the following kit parts:

Axe head
Shovel
Sledge Hammer
Jack Block
Driver and Radio Operator hatches
Air filtration system, Intake Plenum arms

All of the pieces mentioned above required significant modification to obtain a usable part.
Everything else was scratch built

The tow cables and eyes are an after market set purchase from Panzer Hobby Art 1:25

Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Ostatnio zmieniony 29 sierpnia 2017, 02:30 przez TankIndustry, łącznie zmieniany 6 razy.
TankIndustry

Awatar użytkownika
PITERPANZER
Site Admin
Kontakt:

Post autor: PITERPANZER » 27 marca 2015, 16:25

Very detailed accessories. Looks very good.
Zapraszam do sklepu/Welcome to the shop !
Obrazek

TankIndustry
Czołgista / Tankman

Post autor: TankIndustry » 31 marca 2015, 04:32

Interior:

The Tamiya Tiger 1/25 does include a number of interior details.
However, tank interiors present particular challenges I am not willing to take on at this point.
Additionally, I'm not inclined to build tanks that come apart in layers or that are cut away so that interior details can be seen.

Tiger S04 will be fully buttoned up when all the work is done.
The Tamiya Tiger 1/25 engine deck does pose a special problem however.
In particular, it is possible to notice the tank is hollow when looking through the engine grills.

Tiger Is have a complex cooling system consisting of left and right air intakes, left and right heat radiators and left and right dual cooling fans, all residing below the left and right engine grill pairs.

Thus, I added a simple cooling system, as described above.
This provides the detail and depth that is necessary for the finished model.
I was not concerned about a high level of detail in this system, at all, as the viewer would only ever see it through the engine grills.
A lot of detail would be a waste of effort if you do not ever intend to expose it.

Below is what I cam up with:

Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Ostatnio zmieniony 29 sierpnia 2017, 02:40 przez TankIndustry, łącznie zmieniany 3 razy.
TankIndustry

TankIndustry
Czołgista / Tankman

Post autor: TankIndustry » 02 kwietnia 2015, 05:24

Paint And Markings:

No matter how much work you put into building the model (super detailing, scratch builds, etc.) the final impression always comes through in the paint job... the paint job makes or breaks the model, most certainly.

Regarding Tiger Is my practice is as follows:

Base Coat: Tamiya, Acrylic Dark Yellow (considered too dark by some modelers but I like it as is)
Cammo: Tamiya Acrylic Red Brown and Tamiya Acrylic Dark Green

Base color and cammo are always applied with an air brush and the cammo is always some form of striped pattern ... "A Tiger without stripes is like a Tiger without stripes!"

Another practice I always follow is to draw the cammo pattern using the Paint program on my computer, before any spraying begins.
I created a Tiger I template image and I make copies of it for each project.
I typically play with it until I obtain something I really like and then start spraying based on that drawing.

After the cammo was finished, I sprayed a very thin coat of Dark Yellow over the entire tank. This reduces the contrast between the cammo and the base coat making the final appearance more blended and subtle. Great care has to be taken as not to over do this as there is a fine line between subtle blending and "@#%$!! ... the cammo is now ruined!!"

I follow this up with what I call "scrubbing"
Scrubbing is my technique for removing the dusty, matt appearance that the tank has after all the spraying is finished. I simply scrub the entire model with various dry hog-hair brushes. The dusty appearance is replaced by a metallic sheen, comparable to the sheen real tank armor has. Again, great care has to be taken while scrubbing so as not to break delicate details.

Markings:

Apply after scrubbing is complete but before washes, detailing and weathering effects begin.
I used 1/35 scale Archer dry transfers for the turret numbers and crosses.
The division insignia on the front plate came from the kit but was carefully trimmed along it's outer edges before application.

Washes, detailing weathering, final touch ups:

.. in progress ... not yet done and not represented in the photos below

Tank Tracks:

not yet done ... these are removable so they will be the very last things I do.

Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Ostatnio zmieniony 29 sierpnia 2017, 06:09 przez TankIndustry, łącznie zmieniany 4 razy.
TankIndustry

ODPOWIEDZ

Wróć do „Relacje z budowy / Construction report / Bauberichte”