Tiger I, S04, Michael Wittmann / Tamiya + sctrach /1SS LAH

Pytania, Technika / Technics, Questions, etc / Fragen, Techniken, etc

Moderatorzy: Tommy T.B., mrafalsk

TankIndustry
Czołgista / Tankman

Tiger I, S04, Michael Wittmann / Tamiya + sctrach /1SS LAH

Post autor: TankIndustry » 27 lutego 2015, 06:19

Michael Wittmann, Tiger S04

I started this project in Jan 2013 and it is not yet complete but it's close.
The base kit is impressive but is entirely incorrect in most of it's details.
As a result, I have done extensive rework on this project as well as many scratch builds of entire assemblies (gun mantle, loaders hatch, air filter system, exhaust system, front and rear mud guards, all spare track links and mounts, hull mounted smoke grenade launchers and much more )
A few after market parts were used as well: Aluminum gun barrel, brass hull MG 34, etched brass engine grills, tow and track cable set

I expect to be done sometime in the early spring and will post the final photos at that time.

This is my first 25th scale project, I typically work in 35th scale.

Tell me what you think?

Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek

After this I have a 25th scale, Tamiya Panther A.
I started the Panther last weekend and reworked the gun barrel and muzzle brake.
I will move that project forward once Tiger S04 is done
Ostatnio zmieniony 11 lipca 2017, 02:02 przez TankIndustry, łącznie zmieniany 7 razy.
TankIndustry

Awatar użytkownika
PITERPANZER
Site Admin
Kontakt:

Post autor: PITERPANZER » 27 lutego 2015, 17:55

At first welcome on the forum. I know Your effort Glen from Your mails and from FB, but ask You many times to introduce Your models here.
Now here You are and we are very happy.
Zapraszam do sklepu/Welcome to the shop !
Obrazek

Awatar użytkownika
Tommy T.B.
Czołgista / Tankman

Post autor: Tommy T.B. » 27 lutego 2015, 20:02

Welcome to the forum TankIndustry.
I'm glad you joined us and we will be able to exchange our experiences in building such great models like yours :okok:
I can not wait to get him to paint in camo!

Great job and more such models as your

Best wishes
Tommy

TankIndustry
Czołgista / Tankman

Post autor: TankIndustry » 07 marca 2015, 06:33

Turret work

The original turret of this model has many things to correct, I list them below:

Loaders hatch is far too big
Commanders hatch hinge looks nothing like it should (not even close)
Commanders hatch is missing the locking mechanism for when the hatch is in the open position
Commanders hatch vision slits are not at all correct
Commanders hatch lid is missing many surface details
Exterior Turret top is missing recessed bolt head details. (these bolts fastened the internal gun travel lock to the inside, top of the turret)
Gun Mantle is poor (to high, poor detail and missing detail, not at all heavy looking)
Gun barrel is too long and not shaped correctly
Muzzel Brake is hollow and missing detail
Front Turret sides should not be the same angle relative to the line of the gun mantle (turret right side slopes in more than the turret left side and is a longer section of armor than the turret right side)
Turret Sides, exterior gun trunions are poor
Turret sides vision slits are poor and not located properly
Turret sides are missing lower weld seams and front plate joints
Turret frontal armor, behind the gun mantle, is not present.
Smoke discharger tubes have no mounting plates, are too long and are missing detail
Turret storage bin lids are poor
Turret storage bin lid locks are missing.

I did a lot of scratch builds and super detailing to correct all these inadequacies along with buying an after market aluminum gun barrel from Panzer Hobby Art, 1:25 Scale

Additional scratch build work was done to include spare track links, spare track link mounts and locks, a loaders periscope and a turret mounted antenna

Finally, all weld seams on the turret top were replaced.

Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Ostatnio zmieniony 11 lipca 2017, 02:11 przez TankIndustry, łącznie zmieniany 3 razy.
TankIndustry

Awatar użytkownika
PITERPANZER
Site Admin
Kontakt:

Post autor: PITERPANZER » 07 marca 2015, 10:50

Wow, I love to follow Your effort on this project.
Wait next chapter.
Obrazek

Awatar użytkownika
Tommy T.B.
Czołgista / Tankman

Post autor: Tommy T.B. » 08 marca 2015, 11:48

Amazing work. Model at this stage looks great :okok:
Now I know what and how much I will have to change when I start to build my model Tiger.

Good luck in further construction.

Best wishes.
Tommy

Awatar użytkownika
PITERPANZER
Site Admin
Kontakt:

Post autor: PITERPANZER » 08 marca 2015, 12:16

What is incorrect with loader hatch, that You reworked it?
Obrazek

TankIndustry
Czołgista / Tankman

Post autor: TankIndustry » 08 marca 2015, 16:38

1/25, Tamiya, Tiger I, Loaders hatch and frame.

These parts have the correct level of detail but are too big in terms of their length and width.

If you look at Tiger I photos, or scale drawings, you will notice the difference.
The inner edge of the kit part is located far too close to the center line of the turret.

To correct, I took measurements of 35th scale drawings, from the book

Germany's Tiger Tanks (Jentz, Doyle)

and multiplied by 7/5 to obtain the 25th scale measurements
(25th scale is 7/5 times bigger than 35th scale)

Then it was a matter of making a correctly sized and shaped part.
I used standard sheet plastic, gluing in layers to build up the required hatch thickness.
Lots of filing, sanding and test fitting to obtain the final hatch and frame parts
I also cut the hatch hinges off the original kit part and integrated them with the part I made as the size and detail seemed correct.
TankIndustry

TankIndustry
Czołgista / Tankman

Post autor: TankIndustry » 12 marca 2015, 06:42

Rear Hull

Nothing associated with the rear hull of the 1/25th scale Tamiya Tiger is of any use.
Even the plate itself required substantial modification:

Bottom/angled section of the rear hull lower armor is to wide vertically
Rear tow loop mounting lugs are not correct
Rear mud guards and hinges, exhaust pipes and armored guards, feifel air filters, crank starting tool and jack are simply terrible
Crank starting steady plate is too narrow
Moulded on armored covers for the track tensioning system are not located correctly and have an inadequate level of detail
Moulded on circular plate, covering the crank start opening, is not located correctly
Bottom, center, Tow coupling is poor
Toolbox is inadequate and has no mounting frame

The only parts retained were the exhaust pipe cover plates and the 4 elbo pipes that attach to the air filters
Even these parts required modification:
The cover plates should have 5 stays instead of 4 and the elbos are missing the square attachment flanges at either end of the elbo

As you can see, the entire rear of Tiger S04 features complete scratch builds of every detail
(the toolbox is a bit oversized ... Oh well!)

Additonal builds were done to include mounting frames for the mud guards (X2), rear mounted smoke mortars (X2), an antenna storage tube (typical inclusion on platoon command tanks) and mounting lugs (X12) for the exhaust system covers

The brass tow loops are after market parts purchased from Panzer Hobby Art, 1:25

Finally, vertical weld seams were added along the lines where the rear plate meets the upper hull side armor.

Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Ostatnio zmieniony 29 sierpnia 2017, 06:04 przez TankIndustry, łącznie zmieniany 5 razy.
TankIndustry

Awatar użytkownika
PITERPANZER
Site Admin
Kontakt:

Post autor: PITERPANZER » 12 marca 2015, 08:42

Prima!

I like to watch on details like Yours.
Obrazek

Awatar użytkownika
Tommy T.B.
Czołgista / Tankman

Post autor: Tommy T.B. » 12 marca 2015, 12:46

Beautiful, sensational, just wonderful !!!

I look forward to painting this model.

Good luck :okok:
Tommy
Ostatnio zmieniony 12 marca 2015, 12:47 przez Tommy T.B., łącznie zmieniany 1 raz.

Awatar użytkownika
Kordian
Czołgista / Tankman

Post autor: Kordian » 13 marca 2015, 19:41

:honoring:

TankIndustry
Czołgista / Tankman

Post autor: TankIndustry » 15 marca 2015, 08:14

Hull Front:

Most of the front portion of the Tamiya Tiger 1/25 is incorrect:

Upper hull frontal armor plate is too wide vertically and the top bevels at either end are angled downward too steep
The drivers visor block armor is not wide enough vertically and the upper center guard is not shaped correctly
The ball mounted machine gun armor looks hollow so it has no depth nor does it look heavy
The molded on front mud guards are poor
The armor plate between the upper and lower frontal armor (glacis) is angled downward too steep and is missing weld seems and side armor joins
The semi circular armor bands protecting the main drive gears are not correct and have no weld seams present.
The lower, inner backing plates for bolting on the main drive gear housings are missing.

I addressed all but one of these issues in my work.
I did not correct the downward angle of the glacis plate. (I will in my next Tiger 1/25 project)
I did grind some of the vertical width off of the upper frontal armor plate as well as reduce the angles of the downward bevels on either side but I did not take it quite far enough (I will in my next Tiger 1/25 project)

Additional scratch building was done to include a run of track links hung on the lower front plate.

The brass hull MG 34 and brass front tow loops are after market parts purchased from Panzer Hobby Art, 1:25

Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Ostatnio zmieniony 26 sierpnia 2017, 15:25 przez TankIndustry, łącznie zmieniany 3 razy.
TankIndustry

Awatar użytkownika
PITERPANZER
Site Admin
Kontakt:

Post autor: PITERPANZER » 15 marca 2015, 09:36

Sunday morning breakfast .Thank You :mrgreen:
Obrazek

TankIndustry
Czołgista / Tankman

Post autor: TankIndustry » 18 marca 2015, 03:57

Hull Sides:

The Tamiya Tiger 1/25 has a great side profile overall.
The Tiger I silhouette is truly classic and menacing and Tamiya Tiger 1/25 does a very good at representing it.
The kit hull sides inadequacies are subtle or pretty much hidden, but there are quite a few.
The obvious one is the fact that very little thought was applied to the left upper hull track cable and mounts.

Others include:

Hull length from front plate to back plate is slightly too small (not corrected in Tiger S04 but will be corrected in my next Tiger 1/25 project).
The main drive sprocket is located slightly too low relative to the road wheels (not corrected in Tiger S04 but will be corrected in my next Tiger 1/25 project).
The bottom plate in the upper hull sponson is open in the back half.
The lower edge of the upper hull plate should not be a straight line. It should bend slightly upward about half way down when following the line, from the hull front. This means the lower sponson plate should bend upward as well.
The downward wedge at the front, bottom of each hull sponson is missing.
Lower hull sides are missing details (reinforcement ridges that span the hull sides and sponson bottoms, track pin skid plates, idler wheel axels and axel housings, rear and front hull plate joins)
Side track guards were molded as one piece and are missing the individual section end flanges, apart from the front and rear flanges
Road wheel hubs are hollow.
Main drive sprocket spokes are too thin (not corrected in Tiger S04 but may be corrected in my next Tiger 1/25 project).
Main drive sprocket has 15 teeth (there should be 20). This is due to the kit track links being over sized (I actually like the oversized tracks .. they look very mean and give this kit an extra edge of intimidation!!)

The incorrect angle of the glacis plate (it slopes downward too much from the upper hull front plate) is quite apparent when looking at the profile.

The pictures below show how I addressed most of the inadequacies.
I was not too particular about achieving a high level of detail since most of it is not immediately visible on the finished model.
I did pay strict attention to the details when it came to the track cable and mounts.
The locking clasps are not present at this stage.
I want the ability to remove the cable prior to painting so the clasps cannot be in place.
Typically, I make the track and tow cable clasps and locks after painting is done, and carefully attach them as the last effort of project completion.

The track cable and eyes are an after market set purchased from Panzer Hobby Art, 1:25 Scale

Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Ostatnio zmieniony 26 sierpnia 2017, 15:36 przez TankIndustry, łącznie zmieniany 3 razy.
TankIndustry

ODPOWIEDZ

Wróć do „Relacje z budowy / Construction report / Bauberichte”